• Belinda

Miniature House, Maximum Cuteness

Updated: Dec 2, 2020

I have been accepted onto a Design Team for Faith Pocock Craft Studio working with their range of laser cut MDF products, beginning December 2020. Go check out their stuff - it's so inspiring! For me, this opportunity was like landing a dream role in a favorite movie. I was super excited when I found out I had been accepted - so much so that my husband woke to me bouncing up and down beside him on the bed (and he was very excited for me).

Receiving my first package of DT projects was much like the Christmas mornings of my childhood and I pulled each packet out of the box with a deep sense of amazement and excitement. I had much to choose from, but to be my inaugural project for the team I chose something that was small and manageable. Time to get the creativity flowing. So let me take you on the journey that was my first DT project...

Presenting the "Holiday Chalet"

Raw version of constructed miniature house
Holiday Chalet "dry run"

This house is so adorable, I just love it. It comes in kitset flatpack. I started by fitting all the pieces together so I could check what parts to paint (or not paint) and in what colours, the clearance on the tabs, the order the construction needed to happen in, and other considerations. I recommend this step for every one of these projects. In this picture it is just sitting together. Even without glue, it held together nicely.

My next step was to dismantle and start painting. I used acrylic house paints as I have a good supply of those. My chosen colour palette was in earthy greens and black; a scheme I felt lent itself to a Christmas look without limiting it to Christmas only.

Painted pieces of miniature house kitset
Painted pieces

I gave everything a base coat: walls in a lighter shade of blue-green; roof a blend of black and green; chimney, floor, and decorative pieces done in black. I tried not to paint the tabs as paint on these can mean difficulty fitting pieces together. In some case the tabs are visible after construction, but it is a simple matter to paint any small areas of visible wood once the house is glued together.

Next, details were painted in. On the 2 pieces of the roof I created a streaked effect that provides depth and texture. To achieve this look, I used a fairly large-bristled dry brush dipped lightly into a mid green and then brushed sparingly over the dark green base coat. This action was repeated with black. White detail was added to the door (pictured) and around the windows with a very fine paintbrush. I then decided to add a timber look pattern to the door with the wall paint colour. Doorsteps were added in black beneath the door, which I hope you can see in the photos of the completed house. I chose not to colour the interior, but you could if you wished.

Roof piece for a kitset miniature house
Roof Section
Painted front door to a kitset house
Front door

Once all the pieces were painted and dry, I began the process of gluing it together. I used Helmar Professional Woodworking PVA Glue. It was my first time using this glue and am impressed with its strength of hold. It also has a fairly small nozzle so I was able to control the flow of glue to a nice fine bead. The pieces all slotted together beautifully and the order of construction is logical. Allowing the glue to dry, or at least set, between each step is important.

1. Corners of the wall sections glued together and then into the base (floor).

2. Roof section (side without the chimney slots - pictured above), one of the gable end pieces and the ridgeline all glued at one end. Fit the chimney side of the roof into the round hole and hold in place (it does not get glued in).

3. The opposite gable end glued and fitted onto the roof pieces which were glued in step 2.

4. Glue the roof onto the walls. The section of the roof with the chimney is designed to swing up to enable access to the inside. The chimney side needs to be on the side of the house with the curved cut out.

5. Glue the chimney pieces together and then glue it into the corresponding slots on the roof.

Painted and glued together, house is ready for embellishment
Miniature House

The final stage for this cute project was to add some embellishments. Over the years I had filled small jars with miniature stones - collected from happy hours spent sifting the beach at Birdlings Flat, Banks Peninsula, Christchurch. Tiny little agates and pieces of jasper and quartz provided me ample material to glue a ring of stones around the base as a 'rock garden'. If you wish to achieve a similar look then a bag of stones for fish tanks should do the trick. I bought some fake greenery and snipped off little pieces which I layered together to create 'bushes'. The glue I used for the stones and greenery is Helmar Premium Craft Glue; an alcohol-based clear glue with great adherence. PVA would work for this, too. Finally, I completed the look by placing a battery operated set of fairy lights inside the house.

I hope you like my version of this adorable house.

This project was a nice one to start with as it was not too complicated, nor was it difficult to work out. It would suit any crafter, be it a creative teen or well-experienced adult. The design is superb, allowing for lots of creative options in your choice of colours, decorating methods, and embellishments. I'd love to see your version of this house if you get it. Here's a quick link to where you can purchase the Holiday Chalet kit

I'll see you all for the next DT project, which is a much more complex proposition. I can't wait to share it with you. :)


47 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All